M. S. College: Past Perfect, Future Progressive
Munshi Singh College, popularly known as M.S College had a very modest beginning. This premier centre of Higher Education in the northern part of Bihar was established in the year 1945 in the old and abandoned historic juvenile jail premises of the British era. It started with Intermediate courses, and undergraduate classes were started within ten years in 1955 and by the year 1971 the UGC went on to approve teaching up to Postgraduate level and received recognition the UGC Act of 2(f) and 12(b). Today, M.S. College has made a long stride. Having a sprawling campus of about 60 acres with a total built up area of 2.5 acres, the college runs full time courses up to Undergraduate Level in eighteen subjects of Arts, Science & Commerce and up to Postgraduate Level in thirteen subjects. The college also runs a separate Law Faculty. Moreover, in keeping pace with the demands of the time, Job-oriented self-financing courses like BBA, BCA & IMB were also launched several years back. We have Study centres of IGNOU, Nalanda Open University & MANUU, Hyderabad. The achievements of the college have also led to it being declared as a Centre of Excellence by the State Government and getting a rich fund worth One Crore four lakh & eight thousand for its infrastructural growth. The fund was utilised for the development of a world class Smart Class, Language Lab & Conference Hall etc.
M.S. College located in the backward district of East Champaran is also proud of the fact that the majority of its students belong to the marginalized sections of the society – SC, ST, OBC, Minorities, Economically backward, Women & BPL categories. Besides, we have study centres of IGNOU, NOU and MANUU.
A number of our teachers have attended National and International Level Seminars. Several teachers are supervising PhD projects. Moreover, we organised International Conference on Global Diversity and one national level seminar on George Orwell (born at Motihari). The achievements of the NCC & NSS units have also added to the prestige of the college.